ALBUQUERQUE, N.M.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–BioFlyte, a biodetection company with a revolutionary new class of fieldable biological threat collection, detection, and identification solutions, today announced the formation of a Scientific Advisory Board (SAB). The SAB is comprised of seven accomplished industry leaders who will guide development and commercialization efforts for BioFlyte’s field-deployable precision biological mass spectrometry solutions for high-value commercial and government infrastructure, military, and bioproduction customers.
The formation of the SAB closely follows the launch of BioFlyte’s Sentinel™ 720 Airborne Coronavirus Detection System that provides indoor air sampling with integrated on-site PCR analysis for airborne coronavirus and other respiratory pathogens. The solution delivers results at the point of need within an hour to help prevent the spread of infection in schools, factories, and other workplace environments.
“We are thrilled to welcome this group of technical advisors to our Scientific Advisory Board,” said Charles Call, Ph.D., cofounder and CEO of BioFlyte. “Our advisors are already indispensable to the BioFlyte team driving global commercialization efforts for our technology, expanding our reach and relevance in target markets, and guiding product development.”
The founding members of the SAB include:
- Wayne Bryden, Ph.D.: Dr. Wayne Bryden will serve as the Chairman of the SAB. He is currently the President and CEO of Zeteo Tech LLC. He spent 25 years at The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (JHU-APL) where he conducted basic and applied materials and biodefense research as a Principal Professional Staff Scientist and Program Manager. From 2003-2007, he served as a Program Manager in the Special Projects/Strategic Technology Office of DARPA with responsibility for strategic planning and leadership of ambitious research projects to detect and counter chemical, biological and explosive weapons. In February 2007 he was awarded the Office of the Secretary of Defense Medal for Exceptional Public Service by DARPA. Dr. Bryden is the author of more than 80 publications, holds 7 US Patents and was twice honored as a JHU-APL Inventor of the Year.
- Paul Benda: Mr. Benda is a military veteran with senior executive experience in the Government, Commercial and Non-profit sectors. He currently serves as the Senior Vice President of Operational Risk and Cybersecurity, at American Bankers Association where he leads initiatives in cybersecurity, physical security, and information security practices. Earlier in his career, Mr. Benda held various roles at the Department of Homeland Security, The Pentagon, and DARPA. At The Pentagon, he led the development, testing and operational installation of the most advanced chemical and biological protection system ever constructed that was found to be the “future paradigm” that protection systems should follow by the National Academies of Science. He also designed and gained approval of the first Integrated Security Master Plan for the Pentagon Reservation from the Deputy Secretary of Defense resulting in the $300M+ Pentagon Sentry program to modernize physical security capabilities at The Pentagon.
- David Ladd: Mr. Ladd is a leading expert in national preparedness against terrorism involving chemical, biological, radiological/nuclear, and explosive (CBRNE) threats. He is currently the Principal/Owner of Blackthorne Services Group, Consultants in Counterterrorism. Mr. Ladd directed six regional hazardous materials response teams, responsible for a population of 6.5 million people. The Hazmat teams he managed were responsible for all aspects of hazardous materials emergency mitigation response in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, including acts of terrorism. Mr. Ladd wrote the National Bioterrorism Response Strategy plan for the U.S. Interagency Board. He also developed multiple advanced methods and special teams, including Joint Hazards Incident Response Teams and Maritime Response Teams.
- Daniel R. Marshak, Ph.D.: Dr. Daniel R. Marshak is an experienced executive in the Life Science, Biopharmaceutical and Diagnostics industries. He presently serves on the Board of Directors for Tecan (SIX:TECN) and InVivo Therapeutics (NASDAQ:NVIV) as well as RareCyte, GoodCell, and Elevian. He is the CTO for Phase Scientific International Ltd. (HK.) Previously, Dr. Marshak was Senior Vice President & Chief Scientific Officer at PerkinElmer (NYSE:PKI) and additionally served as President of PKI’s business in China and of the diagnostics business for emerging markets globally. Earlier in his career, Dr. Marshak was CTO, Biosciences for Cambrex Corp. (NYSE:CBM), CSO for Osiris Therapeutics, and Senior Staff Investigator at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory. He is an author on more than 100 peer-reviewed publications and has edited or co-authored five monographs. He is an inventor on 12 issued U.S. patents.
- Aimée Rose, Ph.D.: Dr. Rose is the founding Managing Director at Activate Boston, where she supports technical founders in turning their inventions into products and services that benefit society. Prior to this, she cofounded Advanced Fabrics of America (AFFOA) where she served as Chief Technology Officer, defining and executing an investment portfolio to transform fibers and fabrics into high tech, high value-added products in order to revitalize the US textile industry. Earlier in her career at FLIR Systems, Dr. Rose led the commercialization of new explosive detection technology from her Ph.D. research to full-scale production, deployment, and world-wide market share. She received national recognition for these outcomes including the U.S. Army’s Greatest Invention Award and TR35 Young Innovator Award and Humanitarian of the Year from MIT’s Technology Review Magazine.
- Andrew Sandford: Mr. Andrew Sandford has been building businesses around innovative offerings for over 20 years and has just recently co-founded and become CEO of Mined Therapeutics. Previously he was an executive in residence at Anzu Partners and prior to that, served as Vice President of Global Business Development, Biologics, for Catalent Pharma Solutions, a leading global provider of advanced services and technologies for drugs, biologics, and consumer health products. Earlier in his career, Andrew served as Vice President of Business Development for Selexis, Inc. where he established the U.S. subsidiary and was responsible for global transactional and strategic value creation. Andrew also worked for Cambrex Biopharma, which was latterly acquired by Lonza Biologics. He also spent nearly 10 years in Dow Chemical’s Ventures unit where he established and launched the highly successful Pfenex business unit.
- Kenneth R. Weinstein, Ph.D.: Dr.Kenneth R. Weinstein is a noted expert on U.S. foreign policy and international security and is the Walter P. Stern Distinguished Fellow at Hudson Institute. Dr. Weinstein served as president and chief executive officer of Hudson from 2011-2020, and under his leadership, Hudson Institute grew significantly in size, prominence, visibility, and impact, recruiting top-flight talent and advising officials around the globe. He also served as the U.S. Ambassador-designate to Japan from 2020 to 2021. Since 2018, Weinstein has been a member of the Advisory Committee on Trade Policy and Negotiations, which provides counsel on trade agreements to the United States Trade Representative.
“The team at BioFlyte has developed the next generation of biodefense technologies and is ready to bring mass spectrometry into the field to make a significant impact on critical infrastructure protection,” said Dr. Wayne Bryden, Chairman of the SAB and President of Zeteo Tech. “Each of the founding members of the SAB bring a unique perspective and relevant experience, and I look forward to working alongside them to help guide BioFlyte through this period of tremendous growth.”
To learn more about BioFlyte’s Scientific Advisory Board and its technology, please visit https://bioflyte.com.
BioFlyte is a biodefense and microbial identification company that is commercializing a revolutionary new class of fieldable biological contamination sampling, detection, and identification solutions. The firm’s current application focus is critical infrastructure protection and pandemic response. For more information about BioFlyte and its products, please visit: https://bioflyte.com.
Kalyn Schieffer for BioFlyte – firstname.lastname@example.org